SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Windsor
Case Number: 18-OFD-083
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-083
- At approximately 8 a.m. on March 21, 2018, Windsor Police Service officers responded to the area of University Avenue and Ouellette Avenue in regards to a complaint of a man.
- Shortly after, the man was found by police in the parking lot of a restaurant located at Wyandotte Street and Goyeau Street.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers, and the man was shot at by police and struck.
- He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:29 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations