SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Windsor
Case Number: 18-OFD-083
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-083
- At approximately 8 a.m. on March 21, 2018, Windsor Police Service officers responded to the area of University Avenue and Ouellette Avenue in regards to a complaint of a man.
- Shortly after, the man was found by police in the parking lot of a restaurant located at Wyandotte Street and Goyeau Street.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers, and the man was shot at by police and struck.
- He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:29 a.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342