SIU Called to Investigate Police-involved Shooting in Kitchener
Case Number: 18-OFI-095
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFI-095
- On March 31, 2018, the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) was notified that a man believed to be involved in a break and enter in Hamilton was in the Waterloo-Kitchener area.
- WRPS officers set up a perimeter, and at around 4:45 p.m., a man of interest was located walking along Highway 401, near the Homer Watson Boulevard exit.
- There was an interaction between an officer and the man, and the officer discharged his firearm.
- The man was struck and subsequently airlifted to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342