SIU Investigating Death of Man in Perth East
Case Number: 18-PCD-117
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PCD-117
- At approximately 4:50 p.m. on April 14, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended a residence for a domestic situation. Officers from the Emergency Response Unit and the Tactical Response Unit were also dispatched.
- Officers encountered a man, contained him on the property and began negotiations.
- At some point, plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) were fired at the man.
- A short time later, the man sustained a gunshot wound.
- He was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:15 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342