SIU Investigating Death of Man in Innerkip
Case Number: 18-PCD-125
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PCD-125
- At approximately 1 a.m. on April 23, 2018, a call came in to 911 regarding a man in distress.
- Based on the call, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended the area of Oxford Road 22 and Oxford Road 29 where a vehicle was located on the shoulder of the road. The Tactical Response Unit also arrived.
- When officers approached the vehicle, a man was found in the car with a gunshot wound.
- He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342