SIU Investigating Shooting of Man in Fort Erie
Case Number: 18-OFI-146
- At approximately 8 p.m. on May 18, 2018, officers with the Niagara Regional Police Service responded to the Urgent Care Centre at the Douglas Memorial Site in response to a stabbing.
- Upon arrival, the officers saw one individual – a 61-year-old man – with knife wounds. Soon after, a 29-year-old man approached the officers.
- There was an interaction between officers and the 29-year-old man, and one officer discharged his firearm.
- The man was struck and subsequently transported to the Erie County Medical Centre in Buffalo for treatment. The man who sustained stab wounds was admitted to that same hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342