SIU Investigating after Man Injured in Brantford
Case Number: 18-OVI-147
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OVI-147
- In the early morning hours of May 19, 2018, officers with the Brantford Police Service responded to the area of Market Street and Chatham Street to conduct an investigation.
- At approximately 2 a.m., one of the officers entered his police cruiser and began driving. The officer soon came to realize someone – the 25-year-old man – was under the cruiser.
- A tow truck was called to lift the cruiser off the man. Once the man was out, he became involved in an interaction with officers.
- The man was subsequently taken to Brantford General Hospital for treatment of serious injuries, and was then transferred to Hamilton General Hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342