SIU Investigating Death of Woman in Welland
Case Number: 18-OOD-161
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OOD-161
- Shortly after 1 a.m. on June 1, 2018, 911 received a call regarding a single vehicle collision in the area of Quaker Road and Rice Road.
- When police officers with the Niagara Regional Police Service arrived at the scene, the person involved in the collision went to the ground face down. When officers approached her, they noticed she was bleeding profusely.
- Emergency Medical Services transported her to hospital where she was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342