SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Scarborough
Case Number: 18-TFD-172
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-TFD-172
- Shortly after midnight on June 7, 2018, Toronto Police Service officers responded to the area of Warden Avenue and Hymus Road in response to an armed man.
- Upon arrival, officers located the man in a vehicle outside of a pub.
- There was an exchange of gunfire between officers and the man, and the man was struck multiple times. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 12:41 a.m.
- One officer was also struck and taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342