SIU Investigating Death of Man in Barrie
Case Number: 18-OCD-186
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on June 22, 2018, the man was arrested by Barrie Police Service officers and transported to the police station.
- While being booked, the man went into medical distress.
- Paramedics arrived, provided first aid to the man and transported him to hospital.
- A short time later, he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342