SIU Investigates Fatal Shooting by the Durham Regional Police
Case Number: 08-OFD-255
Other News Releases Related to Case 08-OFD-255
At 4:26 p.m. on Saturday November 29th, officers responded to a 9-1-1 call at 1010 Glen Street, Unit 155. Officers found that a husband and wife had been stabbed along with their two children, ages three and five. An officer located a 47-year-old man in an adjacent unit 158 of the townhouse and, during the subsequent confrontation, the man was shot and killed. The officer and his fellow officers were not hurt.
The SIU can confirm the following information as of midnight Saturday November 29th:
* the woman has subsequently died;
* her husband remains in critical condition at Sunnybrooke Health Sciences;
* their two sons, ages three and five, are in the Hospital for Sick Children and Lakeridge Hospital Oshawa respectively, being treated for their stab wounds; and,
* three other children, ages 11, 12 and 13 who were in the unit at the time of the stabbings, were not hurt and were taken to a local police station in the company of a neighbour.
The SIU is in the process of notifying next-of-kin and is continuing its investigation into the sequence of events leading up to the fatal shooting.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.