SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Collision Between Bicycle and Police Vehicle in Cornwall
Case Number: 18-OVI-226
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OVI-226
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on July 27, 2018, the man was riding his bike eastbound on Second Street East in the bike lane. An unmarked police SUV was traveling in the same direction.
- When the police vehicle proceeded to turned right onto Millville Avenue, it became involved in a collision with the cyclist.
- The cyclist was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342