SIU Investigating Death of Man in Sturgeon Falls
Case Number: 18-PCD-251
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PCD-251
- Shortly after 8 p.m. on August 26, 2018, a woman called 911 reporting that shots had been fired on her property on Leblanc Road.
- West Nipissing Police Service officers and Ontario Provincial Police officers with the North Bay and Orillia detachments responded to the home.
- Upon arrival, there was an interaction between police officers and a man.
- The man fled into a wooded area, and was located, deceased, at 2:06 a.m. on August 27, 2018. He had suffered a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342