SIU Investigating Death of Man in Sturgeon Falls
Case Number: 18-OCD-251
- Shortly after 8 p.m. on August 26, 2018, a woman called 911 reporting that shots had been fired on her property on Leblanc Road.
- West Nipissing Police Service officers and Ontario Provincial Police officers with the North Bay and Orillia detachments responded to the home.
- Upon arrival, there was an interaction between police officers and a man.
- The man fled into a wooded area, and was located, deceased, at 2:06 a.m. on August 27, 2018. He had suffered a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342