SIU Investigating Shooting in Wingham
Case Number: 18-PFI-267
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PFI-267
- Shortly after midnight on September 7, 2018, an Ontario Provincial Police officer with the Wingham detachment stopped a vehicle on Whitechurch Street.
- One of the occupants of the vehicle – a 30-year-old man - exited the vehicle. The driver remained in the vehicle and fled the scene.
- There was an interaction between the 30-year-old man and the officer, and the officer discharged his firearm. The man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342