SIU Investigating Death of Man in Parry Sound
Case Number: 18-PCD-268
- On August 29, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended a residence on River Street in relation to a police investigation.
- Shortly after officers entered the residence, the 22-year-old man went into medical distress. Emergency Medical Services arrived and provided first aid to the man. He was transported to hospital and placed on life support.
- On September 7, 2018, the man was taken off of life support. At 4:01 p.m., he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342