SIU Investigating Motorcyclist’s Death on Highway 407 in Richmond Hill
Case Number: 18-POD-270
- At approximately 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 9, 2018, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a call regarding an abandoned motorcycle in the area of Highway 407 westbound and Highway 404 southbound.
- Officers attended the scene and found the motorcycle but were unable to locate the driver. The officers left the area.
- At approximately 11:00 p.m. OPP received another call, this time regarding a man lying on Highway 407 eastbound, opposite from where the motorcycle had been located.
- Officers found the man and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him.
- He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342