SIU Investigating Death of Man in Sudbury
Case Number: 18-OCD-273
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCD-273
- At approximately 6:15 p.m. on September 12, 2018, Sudbury Police Service officers responded to a domestic situation at a home on Sunny Street. A person of interest – the 63-year-old man – had barricaded himself inside the home.
- Tactical officers and negotiators made attempts to speak with the man.
- At approximately 6:35 a.m. on September 13, Barrie Police Service (BPS) officers took over the incident.
- At approximately 12:30 p.m., tactical officers with the BPS entered the residence and located the man, deceased. He had suffered a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342