SIU Investigating Death of Man in Sudbury
Case Number: 18-OCD-273
- At approximately 6:15 p.m. on September 12, 2018, Sudbury Police Service officers responded to a domestic situation at a home on Sunny Street. A person of interest – the 63-year-old man – had barricaded himself inside the home.
- Tactical officers and negotiators made attempts to speak with the man.
- At approximately 6:35 a.m. on September 13, Barrie Police Service (BPS) officers took over the incident.
- At approximately 12:30 p.m., tactical officers with the BPS entered the residence and located the man, deceased. He had suffered a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342