SIU Investigating after Man’s Body Recovered from River in Lindsay
Case Number: 18-OCD-278
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCD-278
- At approximately 6:30 p.m. on September 16, 2018, officers with the City of Kawartha Lakes Police Service responded to the area of William Street North and Bond Street West after receiving a 911 call regarding a man in the area.
- Upon arrival, officers encountered the 34-year-old man of interest.
- The man fled from the officers and went into the Scugog River.
- Attempts were made – including by the Kawartha Lakes Fire Rescue Service – to locate the man, but the man was not found.
- The Ontario Provincial Police Underwater Search and Recovery Unit was called for assistance. The body of the 34-year-old man was pulled from the water in the afternoon hours of September 17, 2018.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342