SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto Who Fell from Highway 401
Case Number: 18-PCD-279
- Just before 2 a.m. on September 18, 2018, 911 received multiple calls regarding a man walking eastbound in the Collectors lane of Highway 401 East between Avenue Road and Yonge Street.
- An Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer located the man and engaged with him.
- The man fled from the officer and ran northbound across four lanes of traffic. Between the 401 Collectors and the 401 Express, there is an open separation. The man fell through this separation to the ground below.
- OPP, Toronto Police Service and Emergency Medical Services provided first aid to the man.
- He was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:55 a.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342