SIU Investigating Discharge of Firearm by Barrie Police Service Officer
Case Number: 18-OFI-277
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFI-277
- At approximately 4 a.m. on September 17, 2018, officers with the Barrie Police Service located persons of interest at a gas station at the St. Vincent Street and Grove Street East intersection.
- The persons of interest – two males and two females – fled the scene in a vehicle. At some point, one of the officers discharged his firearm.
- At St. Vincent Street and Blake Street, the vehicle crashed into a tree, and the four vehicle occupants fled on foot.
- A search was conducted by officers and three of the individuals were located and arrested.
- While the fourth individual – a 21-year-old man – has not been located, evidence has led the SIU to believe the man sustained a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342