SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Burlington
Case Number: 18-OFD-283
- In the morning hours of September 22, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were attempting to locate a man who was involved in a motor vehicle collision.
- At approximately 5:30 a.m., a call came into police reporting that a suspicious man was in the bathroom of a gas station at Appleby Line and Harvester Road.
- OPP officers and Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) officers attended the location.
- When the man exited the bathroom, there was an exchange of gunfire between him and five police officers – four from HRPS and one from OPP.
- The man was struck, and pronounced dead at the scene.
- Two HRPS officers were also struck – one who had been involved in the exchange of gunfire and one who had not been involved. They were transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342