SIU Investigating Death of Man at Tews Falls in Hamilton
Case Number: 18-OOD-284
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OOD-284
- Early in the day on September 21, 2018, the 28-year-old man was involved with Guelph Police Service (GPS) officers.
- In the late evening hours of the day, an individual notified GPS that the man was going to harm himself.
- Determining that the man was at Tews Falls, GPS officers went there and located his truck, but they did not see the man.
- With the assistance of Hamilton Police Service officers, a search for the man was commenced, but had to be called off because it was getting too dark.
- Today in the morning, the man was located, deceased, at the bottom of the escarpment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342