SIU Investigating After Fatal Fall from Apartment Balcony in Toronto
Case Number: 18-TCD-291
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-TCD-291
- At approximately 6 p.m. on September 29, 2018, 911 received a call regarding a woman in distress. As a result, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building in the area of Shuter Street and Dalhousie Street.
- When officers entered the 19th floor apartment unit, they observed that the woman was on the balcony. Soon after, she fell from the balcony to the ground below.
- The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342