SIU Investigating Death of Man in Barrie
Case Number: 18-OCD-289
- On September 5, 2018, Barrie Police Service officers arrested the man and took him to the police station. While at the police station, the man went into medical distress.
- Emergency Medical Services transported the man to hospital and he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.
- At 11:04 p.m. on September 27, 2018, the man was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342