SIU Investigating Man’s Fatal Fall from Burgoyne Bridge in St. Catharines
Case Number: 18-OCD-297
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on October 4, 2018, 911 received a call regarding a man in distress.
- A Niagara Regional Police Service officer located the man on the Burgoyne Bridge, which is located on St. Paul Street West in St. Catharines.
- After a brief interaction between the officer and the man, the man went over the bridge and landed on Highway 406 below.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342