SIU Investigating Injuries to Man in Collingwood
Case Number: 18-PCI-302
- At approximately 8:30 a.m. on October 8, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers attended an apartment building on Ontario Street to check on the well-being of a 30-year-old man.
- When the man refused to come out of his room at the request of officers, the officers left the apartment unit. OPP tactical officers were dispatched.
- Around 11:30 a.m., tactical officers entered a firetruck telescopic aerial basket and were lifted to the apartment window. At the same time, other tactical officers entered the unit from inside the apartment building.
- Multiple officers fired plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man.
- Shortly after, the man fell from an apartment window to the ground below.
- He was transported to a local hospital for treatment of serious injuries, and was then taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342