SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Woman in Hamilton
Case Number: 18-OFD-308
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-308
- At approximately 1 a.m. on October 20, 2018, 911 received a call regarding a woman armed with a knife at a residence on King Street East, near Wellington Street.
- Upon entering the residence, police became involved in an interaction with the woman, with one officer deploying a conducted energy weapon.
- A firearm was then discharged by another officer, and the woman was struck.
- The woman was transported to hospital where she was pronounced dead at 2:04 a.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342