SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Woman in Hamilton
Case Number: 18-OFD-308
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-308
- At approximately 1 a.m. on October 20, 2018, 911 received a call regarding a woman armed with a knife at a residence on King Street East, near Wellington Street.
- Upon entering the residence, police became involved in an interaction with the woman, with one officer deploying a conducted energy weapon.
- A firearm was then discharged by another officer, and the woman was struck.
- The woman was transported to hospital where she was pronounced dead at 2:04 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342