SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Chatham Interaction
Case Number: 18-OCI-314
- At approximately 3 a.m. on October 24, 2018, Chatham Kent Police Service officers observed a man riding a bike in the area of Patteson Avenue and Inshes Avenue.
- When officers attempted to stop the man to investigate, the man came off his bike and fled on foot into residential backyards.
- With the help of a police service dog, officers were able to locate the man and arrest him.
- He was taken to hospital for treatment of an injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342