SIU Investigating Death of Motorcyclist in Toronto
Case Number: 18-TVD-318
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-TVD-318
- At approximately 5:30 p.m. on October 28, 2018, a Toronto Police Service officer operating a marked cruiser attempted to pull over a motorcycle that was traveling westbound on Highway 401.
- Just past Leslie Street, the motorcyclist pulled over on the north shoulder of Highway 401 in the collectors lane. As the officer approached the vehicle, the motorcyclist made a U-turn and went eastbound in the westbound lanes. The motorcyclist then went the wrong way up the off-ramp of Leslie Street and became involved in a collision with another vehicle.
- The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342