SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Apsley
Case Number: 18-PCD-322
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PCD-322
- At approximately 3:15 a.m. on November 1, 2018, the Durham Regional Police Service received a call regarding a possible abduction that had occurred in Oshawa.
- Later that morning, OPP officers located – in the Bancroft area – a vehicle believed to have been involved in the abduction. Officers followed the vehicle as it turned onto Tuckers Road, off Highway 28.
- Officers exited their cruisers and exchanged words with a 40-year-old man who was in the vehicle.
- A short time later, as officers approached the vehicle, the man sustained a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
- A female was also located in the vehicle and taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342