SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Apsley
Case Number: 18-PCD-322
- At approximately 3:15 a.m. on November 1, 2018, the Durham Regional Police Service received a call regarding a possible abduction that had occurred in Oshawa.
- Later that morning, OPP officers located – in the Bancroft area – a vehicle believed to have been involved in the abduction. Officers followed the vehicle as it turned onto Tuckers Road, off Highway 28.
- Officers exited their cruisers and exchanged words with a 40-year-old man who was in the vehicle.
- A short time later, as officers approached the vehicle, the man sustained a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
- A female was also located in the vehicle and taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342