SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Etobicoke
Case Number: 18-TFI-338
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-TFI-338
- At approximately 11:30 p.m. on November 21, 2018, Toronto Police Service officers went to an address on Willowridge Road to arrest a 23-year-old man.
- There was an exchange of gunfire between the man and a police officer, and the man was struck multiple times.
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342