SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Man’s Arrest by Police in Toronto Apartment Lobby
Case Number: 18-TCI-350
- At approximately 8 p.m. on December 12, 2018, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building located at 300 Dufferin Street to investigate a domestic incident.
- Soon after leaving the apartment unit of interest, they encountered a man not related to their earlier investigation. There was an interaction between officers and the man.
- The man was arrested in the lobby and then transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342