SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Man’s Arrest by Police in Toronto Apartment Lobby
Case Number: 18-TCI-350
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-TCI-350
- At approximately 8 p.m. on December 12, 2018, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building located at 300 Dufferin Street to investigate a domestic incident.
- Soon after leaving the apartment unit of interest, they encountered a man not related to their earlier investigation. There was an interaction between officers and the man.
- The man was arrested in the lobby and then transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342