SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Smithville
Case Number: 18-OFI-371
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFI-371
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on December 21, 2018, 911 received a call from a woman reporting that two individuals were tied up in the basement of a residence on Anastasia Boulevard.
- When Niagara Regional Police Service officers arrived at the residence, a person of interest – the 46-year-old man – fled.
- Officers located him in the intersection of Anastasia Boulevard and Harvest Gate and there was an interaction.
- One officer discharged his firearm, and the man was struck multiple times. He was transported to hospital for treatment of gunshot wounds.
- The two individuals in the home were also transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342