SIU Investigating Incident at Square One Shopping Centre
Case Number: 18-OCI-376
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCI-376
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the serious injury sustained early this morning by a 27-year-old man involved in an incident at Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 3:30a.m. on December 27, 2018, officers with the Peel Regional Police were responding to an alleged break and enter at Square One Shopping Centre.
- Upon police arrival, two men attempted to flee the scene.
- One of the men suffered a serious injury and was transported to Trillium Hospital for treatment.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342