SIU Investigating Death of Man in London
Case Number: 18-OCD-379
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCD-379
- At approximately 3:00p.m on Wednesday, December 26, 2018, officers with the London Police Service arrested the man on an outstanding charge.
- He was brought to the police station and lodged in a cell to await a bail hearing.
- On the morning of December 27, 2018, the man was transported to court for his hearing and then transferred to the Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre.
- A short time after his arrival at the detention centre the man collapsed and was taken to Victoria Hospital.
- The man was pronounced dead at 8:59p.m. that night.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342