SIU Investigating After Police Cruiser Parked on Highway in Vaughan is Rear-ended; Civilian in Cruiser Injured
Case Number: 19-OVI-010
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVI-010
- Around noon on January 10, 2019, a York Regional Police officer was on westbound Highway 407 when he pulled over a vehicle just west of Jane Street.
- The driver of the vehicle was asked to sit in the backseat of the cruiser, which was parked on the shoulder of the highway.
- Shortly after, the cruiser was rear-ended by another vehicle.
- The man detained in the cruiser was seriously injured and transported to hospital for treatment.
- The police officer and the driver of the other vehicle sustained minor injuries and were also taken to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342