SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision Greater Sudbury Area
Case Number: 19-OVD-015
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-015
- Shortly before midnight on January 15, 2019, a Greater Sudbury Police Service officer observed an Audi in a restaurant parking lot located at 5085 MR 80.
- When the vehicle left the parking lot, officers attempted to stop it.
- A short time later, on MR 80 and just south of Valleyview Road, the Audi became involved in a collision with another vehicle.
- The drivers of both vehicles were transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
- On Saturday, January 19, 2019, the 29-year-old driver of the Audi succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342