SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting Last Night in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TFI-023
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-TFI-023
- At approximately 7:45 p.m. on January 30, 2019, Toronto Police Service officers responded to a convenience store in the area of Sherbourne and Dundas in response to an armed man.
- Upon entering the store, there was an interaction between officers and the man, and one officer discharged his less-lethal shotgun multiple times.
- The man was struck and transported to hospital for treatment of a hand injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342