SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Ottawa
Case Number: 19-OFD-024
- At approximately 8 a.m. on January 31, 2019, Ottawa Police Service officers were dispatched to the Elmvale Mall area on St. Laurent Boulevard in response to an armed man.
- Two officers encountered the man on the mall’s property, and there was an interaction.
- At least one police officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck.
- The man was taken to The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus where he was pronounced dead.
- One of the involved officers sustained an injury as a result of the interaction and thus was taken to the Ottawa General Hospital for treatment. The second officer was also taken to the same hospital for assessment. Both officers have since been released.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342