SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Ottawa
Case Number: 19-OFD-024
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFD-024
- At approximately 8 a.m. on January 31, 2019, Ottawa Police Service officers were dispatched to the Elmvale Mall area on St. Laurent Boulevard in response to an armed man.
- Two officers encountered the man on the mall’s property, and there was an interaction.
- At least one police officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck.
- The man was taken to The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus where he was pronounced dead.
- One of the involved officers sustained an injury as a result of the interaction and thus was taken to the Ottawa General Hospital for treatment. The second officer was also taken to the same hospital for assessment. Both officers have since been released.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342