SIU Investigating Collision in St. Catharines
Case Number: 19-PVI-056
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PVI-056
- In the early morning hours of March 16, 2019, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was conducting stationary radar enforcement on eastbound QEW.
- At approximately 3 a.m., the officer observed a vehicle of interest and attempted to stop it. The vehicle did not stop, and instead turned onto Highway 406.
- The vehicle then turned onto the Fourth Avenue ramp, and shortly after crashed into a retainer wall.
- Both the 20-year-old male driver of the vehicle and the 21-year-old male passenger were taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342