SIU Investigating Burk’s Falls Incident; Man Died Later in Hospital
Case Number: 19-PCD-057
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PCD-057
- At approximately 4 p.m. on March 4, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police officers conducted a vehicle stop in Armour Township. The driver and a passenger were arrested, and both were taken to the detachment in Burk’s Falls.
- When the vehicle passenger went into medical distress, Emergency Medical Services was contacted, and the man was transported to hospital and admitted into the Intensive Care Unit.
- On March 15, 2019, the man died in hospital.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342