SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Sudbury
Case Number: 19-OFI-074
- At approximately 10:45 p.m. on April 10, 2019, Greater Sudbury Police Service (GSPS) officers and Ontario Provincial Police officers attended the Esso gas station located at 1813 Regent Street in relation to an investigation.
- While in the parking lot, there was an interaction with a man.
- One GSPS officer discharged his firearm, and the man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342