SIU Investigating After Two Men Struck by Police Cruiser in Waterloo
Case Number: 19-OVI-083
- At approximately 3 a.m. on April 20, 2019, WRPS officers got a call about an altercation between individuals in the area of Hickory Street West and King Street North. Police were also informed that shots had been fired.
- Police responded.
- Two men were in the middle of King Street North when they were struck by a cruiser.
- A 26-year-old man was transported to Hamilton General Hospital where he is in the Intensive Care Unit. A 22-year-old man was taken to a Kitchener hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342