SIU Investigating After Two Men Struck by Police Cruiser in Waterloo
Case Number: 19-OVI-083
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVI-083
- At approximately 3 a.m. on April 20, 2019, WRPS officers got a call about an altercation between individuals in the area of Hickory Street West and King Street North. Police were also informed that shots had been fired.
- Police responded.
- Two men were in the middle of King Street North when they were struck by a cruiser.
- A 26-year-old man was transported to Hamilton General Hospital where he is in the Intensive Care Unit. A 22-year-old man was taken to a Kitchener hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342