SIU Investigating after Man in Cambridge Sustains Gunshot Wound
Case Number: 19-OCD-087
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OCD-087
- At approximately 11 a.m. on April 27, 2019, Waterloo Regional Police Service received information that a person of interest was in a vehicle in a gas station parking lot located at 345 Franklin Boulevard in Cambridge. The Emergency Response Team was dispatched to conduct a high-risk takedown.
- At some point, the man drove his vehicle into a nearby wooded area.
- A short time later, officers located the man. He had sustained a gunshot wound.
- The man was transported to Cambridge Memorial Hospital by ambulance, and then airlifted to Hamilton General Hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342