SIU Investigating Falling Death of Man in Scarborough
Case Number: 19-PCD-097
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PCD-097
- At approximately 6 a.m. on May 3, 2019, the Ontario Provincial Police received several calls regarding the driving behavior of a motorist on Highway 401.
- OPP officers responded and located a vehicle that had gone off the road in the area of Highway 401 and Kennedy Road.
- An officer observed a man standing on a nearby overpass and attempted to communicate with him.
- Shortly after, the man fell to the road below.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342