SIU Investigating After Man Falls to Death in North York
Case Number: 19-TCD-098
- At approximately 11 a.m. on May 4, 2019, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an apartment building on Chalkfarm Drive after receiving a call about a man in distress.
- Upon arrival, officers saw the man hanging from the balcony railing of a 14th floor apartment unit, and they began talking with him.
- A short time later, the man fell to the ground below.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342