SIU Investigating Man’s Fatal Fall From 14th Floor of Toronto Apartment Building
Case Number: 19-TCD-103
- At approximately 11 a.m. on Thursday May 9, 2019, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an apartment building in the area of Yonge Street and Gerrard Street for a man in distress.
- Officers went to an apartment unit on the 14th floor and knocked.
- A short time later, a man fell from the apartment unit’s balcony to the ground below.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342