SIU Investigating Weekend Discharge of Firearm by Police Officer in Mississauga
Case Number: 19-OFI-114
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFI-114
- At approximately 3 p.m. on May 25, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers were dispatched to Marmac Road after determining that a vehicle that had been reported stolen was in that area.
- While police were investigating, a man approached the vehicle and entered it. He then proceeded to drive at one of the officers.
- The officer discharged his firearm multiple times, striking the vehicle’s windshield.
- The vehicle fled until it struck a vehicle on Pettigrew Crescent, and the man exited the vehicle.
- While the man has not yet been located, the evidence indicates the man may have been struck.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342