SIU Investigating after Civilian Vehicle and Police Vehicle Involved in Collision in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 19-PVI-129
- On the morning of June 11, 2019, two Ontario Provincial Police officers were in an unmarked cruiser traveling northbound on Gulf Links Road.
- At approximately 11:45 a.m., the cruiser became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle coming out of the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
- The 75-year-old male driver of the civilian vehicle sustained injury and was transported to hospital for treatment. The officer who was the passenger in the police vehicle was also taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342