SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Tecumseh
Case Number: 19-PFD-134
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PFD-134
- At approximately 10:15 p.m. on June 14, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a residence in Tecumseh in regard to a man in distress.
- Inside the home, there was an interaction between the man and officers. One officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- During the encounter, three police officers sustained injury and were taken to hospital for treatment. They have since been released from hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342