SIU Investigating Man’s Arrest in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TCI-139
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-TCI-139
- At approximately 10 p.m. on June 18, 2019, the homeowner of a residence on Torrens Avenue contacted police to report that a man had broken into his home and now had barricaded himself inside a bedroom.
- Upon arriving at the scene, officers attempted to negotiate with the man.
- A short time later, Emergency Task Force officers forced their way into the bedroom and located the man with injuries.
- He was transported to hospital where he remains in the intensive care unit.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations